HISTORIC SOUTH EDINBURGH - VOLUMES 1,2,3&4 - This is the history, spanning eight centuries, of the growth of South Edinburgh, its people, houses and institutions, within the area of The Grange in the east to Craiglockhart in the west, and from Bruntsfield in the north to Swanston in the south, with a special emphasis on Morningside. The opening of North Bridge in 1772 was followed by an exodus, not simply to the spacious elegance of Craig’s New Town, but to the rural seclusion and open spaces of the South Side. Over the next hundred and fifty years the city grew steadily southwards. As much as the more familiar stories of the Old Town and the New Town, the story of the South Side lies at the heart of Edinburgh.
Condition: Good - Author: Charles J Smith - Publisher: Charles Skilton - Hardback